Tuesdays with Dorie: White Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Coulis

June 1, 2010


Eyes-Only, the term Brownie is merely an alias. The elegant taste and crumbly texture of these bars are closer to that of a cake. They're simply too polite to excuse themselves from the brownie table. A lot of Tuesdays with Dorie bakers have had their eyes on this recipe for a long time, especially one in particular. I was a bit of a skeptic. White chocolate is not something I like to bake with, normally I find it to be too sweet and too far removed from the love of my life, dark chocolate. I'm very open minded though, so I wanted to give these brownies a fighting chance. This recipe was an exhilarating surprise! Maybe I just associate white chocolate with those hollowed out blocks of sugar, usually in the form of Easter bunnies. But oddly enough, I find Peeps to be disturbingly irresistible. Also, it's difficult to write a lighthearted post while listening to Leonard Cohen's timeless Famous Blue Raincoat.


These sleek brownies are scrumptious! Despite being a bit cakey, they do have a soft chew to them. The actual recipe calls for a meringue topping but it seemed to be a problem for some of the other bakers. It made it difficult to tell when the brownies were done. Thanks, everyone. :) Plus I'm not a huge meringue fan. The white chocolate was not at all overpowering. Unless you tell them, I don't think people will guess that these are made with white chocolate. The raspberries stand out the most, and thanks to the lemon zest infused sugar (I used lemon instead of orange) the base has a light citrusy taste. These were perfect 'naked', but I couldn't resist making fresh some fresh whipped cream and a raspberry coulis with the leftover berries.

For the complete White Chocolate Brownie recipe, please visit Marthe's adorable blog, Culinary Delights. Or buy Dorie Greenspan's book, A definite must-have for the baking obsessed.

25 comments:

  1. Dear Valerie what a wonderful photo ! When can I visit you for tea ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Also not a fan of white chocolate, but these look like they could just change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sold when I saw your first photo. That looks amazing. And you're right.. it was cake-like with a bit of chew towards the center. Glad you worked it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The coulis is a great substitution for the meringue. Inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brownies look delicious :-) I think whipped cream and raspberry coulis would be perfect alongside them! I will definitely make these again but without the meringue topping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, that brownie looks irresistible! I've been meaning to try that recipe since long...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful brownies.

    I didn't do a meringue either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm just the thought of the coulis on these makes me want to make them again! :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the part about the bar being "too polite" to excuse itself from the brownie table. So true! Not a brownie, but a lovely dessert nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved these delicious bars. I omitted the meringue and went with an orange glaze, yummy! Yours look most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your photo. I also like what y ou did with them. This is a great variation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Ladies. :)

    The computer had another meltdown this morning, apparently there was a corrupted/unstable disk. Why the psychological jargon? My computer is self-medicating and it seemed to have found the rogue disk. If there are any computer experts out there who are reading this (because I'm too scared to take my pc apart) Would a bad disk have been the cause of the freezing and crashing?

    Thanks! Sorry this is not food related.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've made these look incredibly luscious! Wonderful photograph and I love how you presented these. I agree - it was rather a chewy texture - good, but rather different - surprisingly so!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look awesome and fresh, lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, amazing color!!! i changed the recipe into Salty Sweet Brown Butter Frosted Milk Choc Brownies! yours look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haaha. I'm glad you tried this dessert despite your reservations. I love white chocolate, but I guess I haven't really baked with it much, so I can understand your concerns. Anyway, these bars look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love raspberry coulis! Serving it with these makes it a proper dessert. I also love Leonard Cohen - a truly inspired piece of music to blog to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i was hoping i'd see a coulis. yours looks delicious. and i agree they are to polite to be called a brownie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, your brownies look absolutely scrumptious! I can imagine the taste of these with some whipped cream: delish!! Thanks for baking with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely post! Your photos are beautiful. I, also, think this is a cake with many possibilites.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Valerie, I missed a post! I don't know how I did that...
    This looks wonderful-my kind of dessert. I don't even want dessert if fruit isn't involved. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. mine were naked, too (or topless?)...porbably would have been too sweet with the meringue anyway. yours look tasty, and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Naked with a dollop of whipped cream is perfect.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look great, much better than mine did. I think the coulis would be the perfect tart note to offset the sweetness of the white chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, and for taking the time to read through my ramblings!
If you have a recipe comment or question, I'd love to hear from you.

Happy Baking!
♥ Valerie

 

une gamine dans la cuisine © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger